Sunday, August 31, 2014

Making Progress

Wow – it’s been a whirlwind of a few weeks!  We have made such progress in our fundraising and paid off two of our major home study fees this week – that’s $2,800 that we have raised and/or saved since the beginning of July!  Thank you, thank you to all of those who have helped out. 

While my flea market escapades weren’t the most successful thing I’ve done, Scott and I did have a lot of fun setting up and hanging out there!  We’re probably going to try a craft fair next time instead of the flea market.  Check out my awesome table display featuring signs made by my wonderful friend, Lindsay! 



What’s left before the home study? - We have one major fee left in this first step of the adoption, but we expect to have enough to pay that off within the next couple of weeks.  We have finished all of our paperwork, but still need to send a few documents in to our agency.  Lastly, we’re still waiting on one more background check and Scott’s physical (September 8th) before we can be officially ready for the home study.  So exciting!

They say that the adoption process is a roller coaster, and I completely agree with that.  We haven’t even gotten that far into it, but I’ve already experienced every emotion that’s out there.  With all of the unknowns, it’s scary at times.  Will we really raise enough money to pay all of our fees?  Will we have to wait for years to make it through the whole adoption process?  Will there really be a child out there for us?  Will we make it through this without something going terribly wrong?  I know these are likely irrational thoughts, but we’ve been let down before when we had our future all planned out, so it’s hard not to think these things sometimes.  BUT, I cannot believe the amount of support that we continue to get from family, friends, even strangers.  Every time I feel scared, there’s someone there who calms my fears by offering us their support.

Case in point: We’ve been gathering donations for a yard sale for a while now, but got stuck when a big donation fell through a few weeks ago.  Yesterday, a girl in our apartment complex put up a sign in the mail room stating that she’s having a moving sale and all unsold items would go to Goodwill.  I texted her and said that, if she is done with the sale, we are looking for donations for a yard sale fundraiser for our adoption and would be willing to take the items.  I got no response yesterday, but just figured that she had already taken all of the items to Goodwill.  I thought, “Well, we probably won’t hear from her.”  Today, she texted me back and said that we could come get EVERYTHING that was left over.  Wow!  Donations galore…I was so ecstatic! 

Second case in point: I’ve been talking to this girl for a while who agreed to offer consulting for us to have an online auction fundraiser.  She was going to do everything – secure all of the donations, advertise, run the auction for us, be the liaison between donors and bidders.  However, I haven’t heard from her in 3 weeks.  I was getting disappointed because I have no idea how to do this on my own.  I already had a few people who said they were willing to donate, but I didn’t know what to tell them.  I started researching other auctions, reached out to some other adoptive families who have done auctions, and decided that maybe I can do this on my own.  In just a few days, I’ve already secured several donations for the auction – people have been so generous! 

These are just a few examples of the love and support that we have received – not to mention the fundraisers that people have offered to do for us, the friends/family who are wearing their “From Colombia with Love” shirts with pride, and all of the earring orders I’ve gotten recently!  All that to say – you guys rock!  We couldn’t do this without you…seriously.  Our child is going to be surrounded with so much love, and we couldn’t be happier about that.  

Upcoming Fundraisers
September - yard sale & Jamberry fundraiser party
October - online auction 

No comments:

Post a Comment