Sunday, July 27, 2014

All Things Colombia

Scott and I are dedicated to embracing our child's Colombian background and ensuring that he/she knows where they come from.  There is so much for us to learn about our future child's home-country!  Here are some interesting things we have learned so far...

1) Colombia has no specific seasons since it is so close to the equator.  Another source I read said that there is only summer...but there is also sometimes snow on the mountains, so...I guess we'll pack for anything?

2) Colombia has one of the most beautiful rivers in the world - the Caño Cristales.  I really, really hope we get to see this in person!  (Read more about it here).


3) Colombia has the biggest salsa festival, biggest theater festival, biggest outdoor horse parade, biggest flower parade, and second biggest carnival in the world.  Wow!  I hope we get to travel during one of these festivals.

4) Colombia is known for being very multi-cultural with influences from European, Native American, Middle Eastern, and African cultures.

5) Children in Colombia learn about el Ratón Pérez (Pérez the Mouse) who is similar to the Tooth Fairy. He even has his own movie (El Ratón Pérez).  Can't wait to get the book The Tooth Fairy Meets El Ratón Pérez for our future child!


These are just a few of the many, many things we have to learn...check out my new favorite blog of all things Colombia --> http://raisingcolombiankids.blogspot.com/.

2 comments:

  1. I love reading these blogs about our future grandchild. Between new books about his/her culture and the books I've collected, I sure hope this child will enjoy being read to! Can't wait for lots of fun times sharing stories.

    ReplyDelete